Nationally recognized as one of the country’s premier “family beaches,” Holden Beach, NC is one of five islands that make up the North Carolina Brunswick Islands.
With many accolades for its laid-back beach town vibe, visitors flock to the island year after year to continue making memories with their friends and families.
If you’re a first-time visitor to Holden Beach, or just need a refresher on all the town has to offer, check out our round-up of info below!
What makes Holden Beach, NC unique?
Holden Beach, NC has prioritized staying true to its small, beach town roots. In doing so, the town is well known for being family-friendly. With endless outdoor activities and restaurants with something for everyone, Holden Beach is a picture-perfect NC beach town.
Being an island, Holden Beach, NC is surrounded by water making watersports the activity of choice for most visitors!
You’re bound to see countless kayakers, paddleboarders and boaters out on the water each day taking in the region’s beauty.
End your day with a water view at Dock House Seafood for dinner and a moonlit walk on the beach.
We’re certain everyone in the family will be worn out from a day in the sun and ready to tackle the next day’s activities!
Is the beach in Holden Beach, NC nice?
Holden Beach, NC offers everything you need for a successful beach day, whether you’re hopping in the ocean or not!
Comb the beach for seashells, go fishing in the surf (with a permit, of course!) or even take a surf lesson from Southern Surf Academy.
The beaches are very well maintained to make families feel safe and at ease during their stay.
Does Holden Beach, NC get busy with tourists?
While Holden Beach, NC does attract tourists, the town doesn’t get as busy as its neighbors to the North and South.
Located nearly 15 miles from the nearest main highway, Holden Beach is off the beaten path, further solidifying its family-friendly environment.
Is Holden Beach, NC safe?
One of the main reasons Holden Beach, NC is known for being family friendly is due to its safe community.
Crime rates are significantly below the state and national level, but it is always important to stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings.
Water safety should also be top of mind for visitors.
Remember to never swim alone, keep your eyes on your children in the water, and check the forecast for rip currents!
What airports are close to Holden Beach, NC?
Holden Beach, NC is conveniently located within an hour’s drive from two international airports in Wilmington, NC, and Myrtle Beach SC.
- Wilmington International Airport ILM (45 minutes)
- Myrtle Beach International Airport MYR (1 hour)
Driving Directions to Holden Beach, NC:
- From Wilmington, NC (45 minutes)
- Take US-17 S to Stone Chimney Rd SE in Lockwoods Folly for 30 miles
- Continue on Stone Chimney Rd SE. Drive to NC-130 E in Holden Beach for 9 miles
- From Myrtle Beach, SC (1 hour)
- Get on SC-31 N from US-17N BUS N and Robert M Grissom Pkwy for 6 miles
- Follow SC-31 N to SC-9 N. Take the SC-9 N exit from SC-31 N for 14 miles
- Follow State Hwy 57 N to US-17 N in Shallotte for 8 miles
- Turn left onto US-17 N for 13 miles
- Drive to NC-130 E in Holden Beach for 8 miles
Where to Stay in Holden Beach, NC?
You’re sure to find the perfect vacation home for your group with all of the options Holden Beach has available.
Check out our favorites below!
- Sandy Claws
- Four bedroom, three bath houseboat that sleeps 8
- Private pool
- Ocean views
- Ocean & Marsh-front Stunner
- Five bedroom, four bath home that sleeps 10
- Located right off of the beach
- Great for larger groups
- Brand New Beach House
- Seven bedroom, five-and-a-half bath home that sleeps 16
- Private pool, tiki bar, and outdoor shower
- Elevator and handicap friendly
If you’re waiting for a sign to visit Holden Beach, NC, here it is! With endless family-friendly activities, we can promise you’ll make memories for many years to come.
If you know of any other families looking for a beach getaway, be sure to share this article with them to help plan their trip!