If you’re looking to escape the city, or maybe just soak up the sun in the Outer Banks, Morehead City, NC is likely on your radar. This small town in North Carolina’s Crystal Coast attracts visitors from all around the world that are looking for some R&R by the ocean. If you’re headed to town be sure to check out some tips below that you won’t want to miss!
Is Morehead City, NC a Vacation Town?
So, is Morehead City, NC a vacation town? The short answer is yes! Morehead City, NC is home to both the North Carolina Seafood Festival and the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament that draws in thousands of visitors each year. Separate from these events, the bustling marina and seafood scene keep guests coming to town year-round.
What is Morehead City, NC known for?
Seafood, seafood, and more seafood! This coastal town is known for its diverse fishing grounds and seafood restaurants. The Big Rock Blue Marlin tournament is hosted in Morehead City every June and attracts anglers from up and down the Eastern seaboard.
If you prefer to eat your seafood rather than catch it, the North Carolina Seafood Festival is a must-visit attraction. Sit back, relax, and listen to some live music while enjoying the area’s finest cuisine.
In the Summer months, enjoy a Morehead City Marlins ballgame under the stars. The collegiate baseball team plays other teams in the region and offers a family friendly alternative for those looking to spice up their trip’s itinerary.
Is Morehead City, NC good for fishing?
The Morehead City community revolves around fishing. You can schedule an inshore or offshore fishing trip to experience all the area has to offer, or drop a line at one of the public parks and piers.
Public fishing is available at Jaycee Park, Morehead City Recreation Center, Newport River Pier and more. If you’d like to schedule an inshore or offshore trip, be sure to do so in advance as they frequently fill up weeks ahead of time!
Does Morehead City, NC have a beach?
Morehead City, NC is located off Bogue Sound, a channel leading to the Atlantic Ocean. For a traditional beach day, travel 4 minutes across the Atlantic Beach Bridge to Atlantic Beach, NC for easy access to one of Coastal Living Magazine’s “Best Beaches”.
How far is Morehead City, NC from other towns in the Outer Banks?
Morehead City, NC is located in the Crystal Coast of the Southern Outer Banks between Beaufort and Atlantic Beach, NC.
Due to the close proximity of towns, it is easy to squeeze in a day trip to several places in the same trip!
What airports are close to Morehead City, NC?
If you’re flying to Morehead City, NC, there are several airports to choose from. For a scenic drive into town, try flying into Wilmington or Norfolk International Airports.
- Albert J Ellis Airport OAJ (1.5 hours)
- Wilmington International Airport ILM (2 hours)
- Raleigh International Airport RDU (3 hours)
Driving Directions to Morehead City, NC:
- From Norfolk, VA (3.5 hours)
- Take US-17 S for 146 miles
- Exit onto US-70 E toward Havelock for 35 miles
- Raleigh, NC (2.75 hours)
- Take I-40 E for 8 miles and follow signs for Benson/Wilmington
- Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 309 for US-70 E, continue onto US-70 E for 135 miles
- Wilmington, NC (2 hours)
- Take I-40 W for NC-140 E toward Jacksonville
- Merge onto NC-140 for 5 miles
- Continue onto US-17 N for 38 miles
- Use the right 2 lanes to merge onto NC-24 E
- Continue onto NC-24 E for 37 miles
- Take a slight right onto US-70 E for 4 miles
Where to stay in Morehead City, NC?
Morehead City, NC has numerous rentals that will help you feel right at home during your visit. For somewhere unconventional, check out the houseboat!
- Cozy Cottage
- Three bedroom, four bath home that sleeps 6
- Renovated in 2017
- Located 9 blocks from downtown and 7 blocks from the Atlantic Beach bridge
- The Mermaid Cottage
- Two bedroom, one and a half bath home that sleeps 7
- Provides bikes and paddle boards
- Covered front porch
- Downtown Houseboat
- Three bedroom, two bath home that sleeps 4
- Two decks with water views
- Steps from downtown restaurants and boutiques
It doesn’t get much better than Morehead City, NC for boaters, anglers, and beachgoers! If you’re planning a trip with friends and family, be sure to send them this article and take a look around the site for other places in the Outer Banks you can visit during your trip.