Boating, seafood, and small-town charm are just a few things that bring people to Beaufort, NC. If you’re planning a trip to “America’s Favorite Small Town” according to Travel + Leisure, check out the tips below to make sure you take in all Beaufort has to offer.
What is it like visiting Beaufort NC?
If spending time outdoors during the day, and wining and dining at night is your thing, you’ll love visiting this small town. Whether you’re visiting with a significant other, or planning a larger family vacation, the town is sure to offer a wide variety of activities to keep everyone relaxed and happy.
What is Beaufort NC known for?
Located on the Beaufort Inlet, a channel leading to the Atlantic Ocean, Beaufort, NC is a nautical town at heart.
With a marina right downtown it attracts boaters and kayakers alike from all around the Southern Outer Banks who will frequently dock their boat and head into town for lunch at one of Beaufort’s esteemed seafood restaurants.
Fishing is also popular in this small town with numerous locations to drop a line.
If you prefer to stay on land, Beaufort has a culinary bike tour, a world-class championship golf course, and a collection of local boutiques. With such a wide variety of activities, you’ll never have to wonder “what should we do today?”!
Oh, and let me add the annual Pirate Invasion is a fun event if you are willing to get into the festivities! (or just come and people watch)
Does Beaufort, NC have a beach?
While Beaufort, NC is surrounded by water in nearly every direction, it is not home to any recreational beaches. Luckily, Atlantic Beach, NC is just a 13-minute drive from Beaufort offers a traditional beach experience for those looking to spend some time in the ocean.
Is Beaufort, NC a good place to visit year-round?
Beaufort’s moderate climate and year-round event calendar make it the perfect destination for a getaway during any season! While it may get chilly on the water in Winter months, golfing, restaurant hopping and even a ghost walk will keep your itinerary full.
Is Beaufort, NC part of the Outer Banks?
Beaufort, NC is located on North Carolina’s Crystal Coast, an 85-mile stretch in the Southern Outer Banks. Several small towns are located along this coastline offering tons of opportunities to explore.
What airports are close to Beaufort, NC?
If you need to travel to Beaufort. NC by plane you’re in luck! With three international airports within driving distance, you can take a scenic drive into town from all three. (If you have a private plane you can fly directly into Beaufort)
- Albert J Ellis Airport OAJ (1.5 hours)
- Wilmington International Airport ILM (2 hours)
- Raleigh International Airport RDU (3 hours)
Driving Directions to Beaufort, NC:
- From Norfolk, VA (3.5 hours)
- Take US-17 S for 146 miles
- Exit onto US-70 E toward Havelock for 18 miles
- Use the 2 left lanes to turn onto NC-101 E for 22 miles
- Raleigh, NC (2.75 hours)
- Take I-40 E for 8 miles and follow signs for Benson/Wilmington
- Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 309 for US-70 E, continue onto US-70 E for 117 miles
- Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto NC-101 E for 22 miles
- Wilmington, NC (2 hours)
- Take I-40 W for NC-140 E toward Jacksonville
- Merge onto NC-140 for 5 miles
- Continue onto US-17 N for 38 miles
- Use the right 2 lanes to merge onto NC-24 E
- Continue onto NC-24 E for 37 miles
- Take a slight right onto US-70 E for 8 miles
Where to Stay in Beaufort, NC?
When visiting Beaufort, NC there are numerous lodging options that provide the small town charm the Beaufort is known for.
Knowing this area well, try to get one of these two homes first. They are perfect for a long weekend or even staying for a week or more at a time. The owners have a history of going above and beyond to make sure their guests have a great stay.
Broad Street Living
- 3 Bedroom, 2 bath that sleeps 6
- 2 Queen beds and a double bunk bed — (3rd Bedroom has a bunk bed with a Double on the bottom and a twin on top + a pull-out twin trundle)
- Pet friendly
Beau-Tonic on Gordon St
- 3 Bedroom, 1 1/2 bath that sleeps 6
- Pet friendly
- A short walk to the waterfront, dining and shopping
- 3 Bedroom, 2 bath that sleeps 7
- Excellent Front Street location with dock on Taylor’s Creek
- 2 Kings and 1 queen bed
- Studio, one bath condominium that sleeps 2
- Located in Downtown Beaufort overlooking Taylor’s Creek
- Free parking
Between all of the activities on water and land, and the esteemed restaurant scene, you can’t go wrong with a trip to Beaufort, NC! If you found this article helpful, be sure to share it with friends and take a look around the site for other towns in the Outer Banks you can visit on your trip.