Sunset Beach, NC is more than just your typical beach town. Rich with activities and attractions there is something to do for everyone in your group whether that’s reading a book on the porch, golfing, or even ziplining! If you’re headed to town, check out our round-up of info below to help you maximize your time in Sunset Beach.
What is it like to vacation in Sunset Beach, NC?
So, what is it like to vacation in Sunset Beach, NC? A trip to Sunset Beach, NC promises endless possibilities! Located on the border of North and South Carolina, Sunset Beach is known for its championship golf courses like Thistle Golf Club and Sandpiper Bay Golf. Combined with the town’s outdoor attractions and restaurant scene, you’ll be eager to wake up each morning and get your day started!
What is there to do in Sunset Beach, NC?
Sunset Beach, NC appeals to active vacation goers, as well as those who like to sit back and relax! Aside from golf, top attractions include surf lessons, yoga on the beach, Summer outdoor concerts and more.
The Ingram Planetarium is a great destination for families, and includes a rotating theater with shows about the sky and a science and education center. And don’t forget about the Museum of Coastal Carolina! This must-visit museum has exhibits on the beach tides, animals and fish, as well as a “touch tank” where kids can feel sea creatures.
Does Sunset Beach, NC get busy in peak season?
While Summer is the busiest time of year in Sunset Beach, NC, the beaches rarely get crowded, allowing visitors to enjoy all the ocean has to offer. If you’re looking for more of an “escape” the off season is just as gorgeous!
Is Sunset Beach, NC a good place to live?
With a year-round population around 4,000, Sunset Beach, NC is a close-knit community of workers and retirees. The weather and the friendly neighbors aren’t all that make Sunset Beach, NC a great place to live, it is also more affordable to live than most seaside towns in the US!
What is the history of Sunset Beach, NC?
Sunset Beach, NC was founded in 1955 after Hurricane Hazel. Then called Bald Beach, the island was virtually unscathed by the hurricane and was purchased by Mannon C. Gore, who subsequently changed the name after its beautiful sunsets.
What airports are close to Sunset Beach, NC?
Sunset Beach, NC is conveniently located to Myrtle Beach and Wilmington International Airports.
- Myrtle Beach International Airport MYR (50 minutes)
- Wilmington International Airport ILM (1 hour)
Driving Directions to Sunset Beach, NC:
- From Myrtle Beach, SC (40 minutes)
- Get on SC-31 N from US-17 BUS N and Robert M Grissom Pkwy for 6 miles
- Follow SC-31 N to SC-9 S. Take the SC-9 S exit from SC-31 N for 13.4 miles
- Continue on SC-9 S. Take SC-90 E to US-17 N in Little Ribier for 2.6 miles
- Follow US-17 N to SC-179 N for 3.2 miles
- Take Beach Dr SW to Shoreline Dr W in Sunset Beach for 6 miles
- From Wilmington, NC (1 hour)
- Take US-17 S to Ocean Isle Beach Rd SW in Shallotte for 41.6 miles
- Continue on Ocean Isle Beach Rd SW. Take Old Georgetown Rd SW, NC-179 N and Sunset Beach Blvd N to Shoreline Dr W in Sunset Beach for 8 miles
Where to Stay in Sunset Beach, NC?
Sunset Beach, NC has a variety of vacation rentals for groups of all sizes! Check out our top picks below.
- Golf Villa
- One bed, one bath condo that sleeps 4
- Located on 3 championship golf courses
- 1 mile to the intercoastal waterway
- Water View Condo
- One bedroom, one bath home that sleeps 4
- One block to the main beach and fishing pier
- Second floor with an ocean view
- Sunset Beach Lake Home
- Three bedroom, three bath houseboat that sleeps 8
- Pet friendly with fenced-in yard
- Close to the beach and golf attractions
What are you waiting for? Book your trip to Sunset Beach, NC today! Its championship golf courses, outdoor activities, and dining will make it a trip you’ll never forget. If you enjoyed learning about what Sunset Beach, NC has to offer, share this article with friends and family so they too can plan a getaway of their own.