Swansboro, NC prides itself on being the “Friendly City by the Sea” and welcomes visitors all year round. This small town located along the IntraCoastal Waterway and the White Oak River attracts visitors that are looking for a relaxing trip by the sea. If you’re headed to town, check out our tips below to help plan your trip!
Is Swansboro, NC good for a relaxing vacation?
If you find salty air and spending time outdoors relaxing, then yes! Swansboro, NC is a quiet, charming town that offers all the same activities as larger tourist attractions, but without the crowds. Plus, it’s located just 5 miles from Emerald Isle and the Atlantic Ocean.
What is Swansboro, NC known for?
Swansboro, NC is known for its beautiful scenery. Surrounded by water on three sides, the seaside town is a water lover’s paradise. Its downtown area’s history as a shipbuilding and commercial fishing town has been carefully preserved and is now home to popular shops, restaurants, art galleries and more.
Swansboro, NC is also known for hosting the Mullet Festival, Art by the Sea Festival, and the Christmas Flotilla that attract locals and visitors alike.
What is there to do in Swansboro, NC?
If you love the water there will be no shortage of activities for you to take part in during your stay. Kayaking, paddle boarding, and jet skiing are some of the most popular water sports. After a day in the sun, grab a bite at Olea Mediterranean Kitchen or Riverside Steak & Seafood to fuel up for the next day.
Swansboro, NC visitors also frequent Hammocks Beach State Park on Bear Island while in town, which can be accessed by ferry during peak season.
Is Swansboro, NC family friendly?
Swansboro’s friendly atmosphere makes it a top destination for families looking for a safe vacation with their children. With so many outdoor activities, dare we say your kids will be tired by day’s end?
How far is Swansboro, NC from the beach?
While Swansboro, NC is surrounded by water, those looking for a traditional beach experience are likely to head to Emerald Isle (5 mile drive) or Hammocks Beach State Park which is a ferry ride away. Both offer miles of coastline that are perfect for settling down and reading a book, or splashing around in the waves.
What airports are close to Swansboro, NC?
Wilmington International Airport is the closest airport to Swansboro, NC that offers the most non-stop options.
- Wilmington International Airport ILM (1.5 hours)
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport RDU (2.5 hours)
Driving Directions to Swansboro, NC:
- From Jacksonville, NC (30 minutes)
- Take Lejeune Blvd. for 5 miles
- Continue onto NC-24 E for 13 miles
- From Wilmington, NC (1.5 hours)
- Take US-17N for 38 miles
- Use the right 2 lanes to merge onto NC-24 E for 4 miles
- Use the right 2 lanes to take the NC-24 E exit toward Camp Lejeune
- Continue onto NC-24 E for 17 miles
- From Raleigh, NC (2.5 hours)
- Take I-40 E for 74 miles
- Take Exit 272 for NC-24 E
- Follow NC-24 E to US-17 N in Jacksonville for 42 miles
- Continue on US-17 to NC-24 E for 3.6 miles
- Follow NC-24 E for 17 miles
Where to Stay in Swansboro, NC?
Vacation rentals in Swansboro, NC come in a variety of sizes to fit you and your group’s needs.
- Quaint Townhouse
- One bedroom, one bath home that sleeps 4
- Located close to local dining
- Private patio
- Island Glamping
- One bedroom, half-bath cabin that sleeps 6
- Captain to bring you to and from the island
- Completely private with multiple tent sites includes
- Serenity by the Sea
- Three bedroom, three bath home that sleeps 8
- Private dock
- Intracoastal waterway view
If you love spending time by the sea and are looking for a family-friendly getaway, add Swansboro, NC to your list of must-visit destinations! If you enjoyed this article be sure to share it with friends and family looking for a vacation of their own.