If you like long road trips, finding the right female pee device is essential.
With so many to choose from, it’s important to find the right device for you.
Driving cross country or even just a few hours can be exciting or nerve-wracking depending on what you’ve had to drink, when you last “went”, and bladder size.
Since females and males differ in the physiology of the lower urinary tract, women may need to make additional pit stops along the way.
Without a female pee device, fun road trips can quickly turn uncomfortable.
What’s the best female urination device for cars?
Female urination devices can be a lifesaver for long trips, but there are several to choose from. By ranking each pee device, we have compiled a list of both reusable and disposable options. The P-Mate Disposable Pee Funnel is recommended for its long funnel, but the SheWee Reusable Funnel is ideal for its flexibility. These are only two of the several we have reviewed.
The best female pee devices depend on the woman.
Pregnant women, horseback riders, and transgender persons can all benefit, but there may be complications if a woman is on her period.
Depending on the product there may be problems with overflow and balance.
The best devices are made from rigid material that can repel urine while still providing comfort.
We have reviewed medical research on the female urinary tract to help us understand which types of devices work best.
With multiple different materials and methods, this information has guided us in finding the most effective devices for road trips.
Which Female Urinary Devices Work Best?
How many times an individual needs to pee on a car trip can vary depending on multiple factors.
According to one study, 284 women kept a 24-hour urinary diary to record how often they needed to go.
Age is one of the key factors.
Dr. Kirtly Parker Jones, MD, is the Vice-Chair of Education in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Utah’s school of medicine.
She reports that women in their 40s and 50s begin to notice an increased need to urinate.
According to one doctor, a woman’s bladder contracts before it’s actually full.
This causes a frequent urge to pee even though the actual quantity is much less than that of men.
On car trips, this is especially frustrating when the average woman pees six to eight times per day.
For women over forty, pee devices with soft, but firm material are often the most comfortable and effective.
The firm material keeps urine from splashing outside the device while a flexible texture prevents rigidity.
For younger women, pee devices that are designed to fit over a menstrual cup can benefit those who are on their period.
Disposable urine devices are ideal for this time of the month.
The P-Mate Disposable Pee Funnel
- P-Mate is a Disposable Urine Director so females can stand to pee!
- No more squatting over public toilet or portapotty.
- Easy to use: just position, pee and toss.
- Easy to transport, folds to fit in a pocket!
- Great for women with orthopedic problems.
The P-Mate Disposable Pee Funnel is an inexpensive choice ideal for women on their period. Because it’s disposable, no clean-up is necessary.
Unfortunately, the material, while soft, is not as stiff as other disposable funnels.
The actual funnel is made of cardboard and is designed to be worn while standing.
This is a perfect design if you are traveling in areas without gas stations or restaurants.
The device can be used on the side of the road or in nature.
The device itself is approximately 9 inches long and 2 inches wide. Since the material is softer, the funnel can be folded to fit into a purse or pocket.
Like many other female sanitary devices, it should not be flushed.
The SheWee Reusable Pee Funnel
- Larger, flexible version of the shewee urination device, with washable sturdy storage case
- Stand up and take control, and avoid the filthy festival portable loos, and grim public toilets Ideal for traffic jams, festivals, women in the military and MUCH more
The SheWee is a popular non-disposable funnel that is perfect if you have difficulty bending.
After a long hike, this is ideal for the long car ride home.
It can technically be used sitting down, but it’s much more comfortable to use while standing.
There’s no need for toilet paper with funnel devices.
This means if you’re cruising through Arkansas in the middle of the night, leaves are no longer essential.
This is also convenient for areas where animals are located.
The SheWee Extreme is also available. This includes an extension tube to make sure the flow does not spray your feet.
For those who like to wear bulky clothes while traveling, this is ideal.
The Pibella Reusable Pee Funnel
- DISCREET BATHROOM SOLUTION: The ONLY discreet, reusable, funnel-shaped urination device that provides an innovative bathroom option for women to go ANYWHERE standing OR sitting, WITHOUT crouching or removing clothes - concerts, porta potties, camping, etc
- PORTABLE: Fits in your purse, backpack, or glove compartment (and is TSA Approved) with included zip bag; A must have for outdoor activities or anywhere with limited (or unsanitary) bathroom facilities, great for restricted mobility or post-surgery
- HYGIENIC: Designed with durable, plastic and water-shedding materials, simply shake out or rinse clean and store in included zip pouch. Reusable, BPA-free, and Phthalate free.
- REUSABLE + EASY TO USE: Simply move undergarments to the side, insert Pibella tongue slightly and hold against your body, aim and go; If positioned correctly, there will be no leakage; Pibella can be wiped clean, reused, and stores in its own zip bag
- AWARD WINNING: Pibella is the only one of its kind - Swiss developed patented design and hospital tested since 2005 for all female body types, young and old; Makes a great gift for the female in your life; Available in pearl, pink, or green
The Pibella female urinary device is FDA-approved and CE-certified.
The main difference, however, is found in the opening of the funnel.
The opening is significantly smaller than many other devices in order to encase the flow. This prevents leaks from occurring.
The material is designed for those with sensitive skin.
Sensitive skin is more likely to become irritated with new or unusual material and can feel uncomfortable with foreign textures.
The funnel is made from polypropylene that can be cleaned with boiling water.
The Pibella is slightly more expensive than other urinary funnels. This is due to the material and the fact it can be reused as often as you’d like.
Unlike disposable funnels that may cost $5 or $6, this device costs $21 for one individual device.
The Stand Up Disposable Pee Funnel
The Stand Up comes in a pack of nine and typically costs around $7.
Usually an eye-catcher for younger women, this device is a triangular pee funnel that comes in hot pink and silver.
It was originally designed by a Stanford graduate so that women could understand what it was like to pee while standing up.
Although it was originally created as a general experiment for modern-day use, the device works well outside.
The funnel itself must first be lightly-assembled by squeezing the sides to create shape.
Once this method is learned it can be used quickly in almost any outdoor situation.
In addition to long car trips, the Stand Up is frequently used at music festivals.
Because of long lines and dirty porta potties, many women prefer to use the funnel device for convenience.
GoGirl Female Urination Device
- ✔️ GoGirl is a female urination device or female urinal that is made in the USA and is produced in an FDA registered facility using certified medical-grade silicone. Go Girl is latex and BPA free. GoGirl is soft and flexible light weight, foldable and very comfortable to use.
- ✔️ GoGirl is reusable & sustainable. After use simply wash with hot water and soap, allow to fully dry, then store in the traveling tube. If you do not have access to running water, we recommend using hand sanitizer or toss in the storage baggie and clean later when water and soap are available. The GoGirl is used externally, so there is no need to boil in water before hand.
- ✔️ GoGirl is travel friendly and come rolled up with a tissue and plastic baggie inside a reusable traveling tube. Easily fits in a pocket or purse so it is easy to carry. Great portable womens urinal funnel for travel.
- ✔️GoGirl has a unique patented design to naturally form to your body to create a seal. The "tip" of the GoGirl allows for a steady stream. No splashing or spraying. After practicing a few times at home, standing to pee with GoGirl will become second nature.
- ✔️Go Girl female urination device is a must-have for camping, hiking, biking, travel abroad, concerts & festivals, for the car, hunting, boating and more. This female pee funnel allows you to pee without a toilet or an injured female can pee standing up to avoid squatting.
The Gogirl device was designed by doctors to help women urinate in a functional and clean way.
A splash guard keeps spills to a minimum which is especially nice for those who like to wear jeans or baggy pants.
The material is medical grade silicone which provides comfort with an adequate amount of firmness.
This is a reusable option that also has an exterior tube.
Typically Gogirl is cleaned with boiling water, but tap water is fine while on the road.
Gogirl, more than other urinary devices, does require the individual to use both hands.
This can be inconvenient for women who are used to cardboard funnels.
While the device works well for most, it can run on the small side.
- REVOLUTIONARY PEE FUNNEL: The Freshette is a revolutionary female urinary device (also known as a pee funnel), specifically designed for outdoor enthusiasts, travelers and those with disabilities. Ensures freedom to "go" - standing or sitting - almost wherever and whenever nature calls.
- HYGIENIC BATHROOM SOLUTION: The palm-sized funnel contours the body. The rigid funnel material ensures a complete seal and ease of use with layers of clothing and gear. An extension tube fits right into the funnel so flow can be easily directed. Simply clean Freshette funnel with soap and water or wipe clean and wash later.
- RIGID MATERIAL: The Freshette funnel is made High Density PolyEthylene (HDPE) so can easily withstand hot or cold conditions. The rigid material can easily be used with layers of clothing and provide a leak-proof seal - the funnel doesn't collapse with use. Lightweight at just over 1 oz, the Freshette packs easily and is designed to be reusable for years.
- DESIGNED FOR OUTDOOR AND TRAVEL ADVENTURES: For the women who cycle, hike, camp, fish, climb, trek, paddle, or travel – the Freshette is the answer. For any situation where you need to relieve yourself discreetly without using a public restroom.
- DISCREET RETRACTABLE DESIGN: An extension tube fits right into the Freshette funnel and is retractable to allow for easy compact storage. Simply insert tube into the funnel, place funnel against your body and relieve your bladder while standing, using tube to direct flow. The discreet design allows for minimal undressing, ease of use with layers of clothing and gear, and protection from the elements and embarrassment.
Freshsette is a reusable pee funnel that is designed for comfort.
It comes with a 5-inch extension tube and a plastic instruction bag.
Depending on why you’re buying the device, it can serve as a medical accessory that minimizes the risk of falling.
The actual funnel is palm-sized which makes it easy to store virtually anywhere. It’s also discreet in how it’s used. The Freshette is built to contour the body making it easier to use with lots of clothing still on.
Similar to other funnels, it can be used sitting or standing up.
Because of the different sized tubes available, standing is a viable option even with bulky clothes.
While the flow can be easily directed, this device is not as intuitive as beginner devices.
With so many attachments available, it can be confusing for women who have never used a pee device before.
- USE IT FULLY CLOTHED No need to bare all of your assets! The Tinkle Belle is specifically designed with a hard shell portion so that you can use it with all of your clothing without it collapsing! It doesn’t overflow or collapse like silicone funnels. Just insert it into a fly or move clothing down in front, point the spout down, and you are good to GO!
- NO NEED FOR TOILET PAPER Yes, we know when you are out and about that you may not have extra tissues or wipes with you. No problem! The Tinkle Belle is designed with a soft wiping "squeegee" lip so that you can remove any remaining drops. No wet clothing for The Tinkle Belle!
- COMPACT & FOLDABLE The Tinkle Belle is LONG when unfolded and being used, but compact when you are out and about! We know that #sizematters .This longer spout allows you to pee further away from your body. No more peeing on your feet and clothes! You can now have a longest pee distance contest! When you're done being victorious, you can fold it in half to make it compact and be a discreet champion!
- DESIGNED WITH YOUR SHAPE IN MIND-The Tinkle Belle is engineered and designed to be anatomically shaped to fit you! Pee in confidence without leaks or overflow. The anatomical shape allows for the correct seal against your body and our built-in thumb-rests assure proper placement. Aim with precision!
- PORTABLE AND EASY TO CARRY-The Tinkle Belle is lightweight and easy to carry with the included case! You can carry it to any outdoor activity, hiking, airplane travel, road trips, camping, festivals, concerts, dirty restrooms and more! Carry one in your glove box, in your purse, or clipped to your backpack! You will find the convenience of The Tinkle Belle necessary for wherever you go!
The Tinkle Belle is incredibly popular due to its longer spout.
This means that urine flows farther away from the body.
With a spout that’s too small, the likelihood for spray is much higher.
This is a reusable pee device that comes with its own carrying case.
Many women don’t realize urinary devices may have residual on them once they are finished.
Carrying cases protect other items in your backpack from potentially getting wet.
Luckily, even without the carrying case the Tinkle Belle is designed for immediate drying.
The device itself is made with a thumb grip for aim.
Because it’s firm toward the back end, this allows for more control over the device.
For women who have not used a female urinary device before, this is one of the best starter funnels.
Who Can Use A Female Urination Device?
Because men and women have different physiology of the lower urinary tract.
Women may need to pee more frequently on road trips. Women of all ages can use a female pee device.
They are not difficult to use and depending on the length of the spout, they are unlikely to cause spills.
Women over 40 may especially benefit from a urinary device while camping or driving long distances.
Travelers, backpackers, and even horseback riders are now going bathroom-free.